Skip to main content

Governmental Agreements

Michigan State Capitol building.
Department of Transportation

Governmental Agreements

Agreements written by this area are primarily between MDOT and the local units of government (cities, villages, county road commissions, drainage districts, and townships). In some rare situations, agreements are written with other state agencies, universities, or private entities.

Agreements are required when any of the following occur: 

  • Mandated by federal or state law.
  • Necessary to establish fiscal or other obligations.
  • Necessary to undertake work or other obligations beyond the jurisdictional authority of MDOT or other party.
  • There is a need to clarify or document the understanding between the parties.  

Agreements prepared by this area are separated into the following classifications:

  • Trunkline - Projects whose roads and bridges are under the jurisdiction of MDOT or work related to such roads and bridges.
  • Local Agency - Projects whose roads and bridges are under the jurisdiction of other local agencies and work related to those roads and bridges. 

Trunkline Agreements

Trunkline agreements may be requested by an MDOT Region, TSC, or design staff engineers. The staff engineers fill out a Project Agreement Checklist (Form 2047) and send it to the Trunkline Agreements engineer. The types of situations when trunkline agreements are required are outlined in the attachment entitled Types of Trunkline Agreements. There are also two other attachments that list the participating and non-participating items of work for road and bridge projects when a local agency is required to pay its statutory Act 51 participation towards MDOT's costs for trunkline projects. 

Local Agency Agreements

Local Agency agreements are requested by the staff engineers in the Local Agency Programs area. Agreements are initiated in Local Agency Project Management System (LAPMS) and sent to the Local Agency Agreements Engineer. An agreement is required for every local agency project. 

Signing Agreements

All MDOT Agreements will need to be signed and executed through OneSpan. MDOT needs the agency’s authorized signer(s) email address(es) to streamline signing and executing the agreement. View the signing process.

OneSpan Information Sheet

OneSpan technical support/concerns should be e-mailed to

Local Agency signature information can be sent to at any time.

All agreements require a certified resolution to accompany it. Download an example resolution.

Please note that wet ink signatures will still be accepted for cost sharing agreements, though, not encouraged.

The original wet ink signed contract and certified resolution need to be mailed to the following for execution of the agreement:

MDOT Agreements Staff
MDOT – Development Services Division, 2nd Floor
425 West Ottawa Street, P.O. Box 30050
Lansing, MI  48909

Third-Party Contracts

Third-party contracts are between the local agency and its consultant for engineering services. These contracts are required when federal-aid is paying for the work and are reviewed by MDOT to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations.