Skip to main content

Contact MDOT

Are you looking for help or need to contact MDOT? If so, you've come to the right place.

With more than 2,800 employees, seven regions, 22 transportation service centers, and 47 additional facilities, MDOT is a large agency. From maintaining Michigan’s state highways (I, M, and US routes) and bridges to winter maintenance, rest areas, carpool lots, maps, and many more services and programs, we know that navigating our department and website can be challenging.

In order to serve our customers better, we have provided some popular topics that are most commonly asked by our customers. Additionally, our frequently asked questions and website search are also great resources when looking for information.

If you're still not sure where to start or would like to communicate a concern, call 517-241-2400 or e-mail MDOT and our staff will route your concern to the most appropriate office within MDOT for a response.

Popular Topics

A semi truck traveling westbound I-196 in Allegan County.


Multiple agencies oversee commercial vehicle regulations and licenses, overweight/oversize loads, IFTA, and DOT regulations.

An older seat belted male driver with a female passenger sitting in a red vehicle.

Vehicle Titles, Registration & Licenses

Michigan Secretary of State is responsible for vehicle titles, registrations, license plates, licenses, and IDs.

MDOT crews filling potholes on I-69 in Eaton County.


Report potholes on I, M, and US routes to MDOT. Report other potholes to your county road commission or local municipality.

US-41 Tunnel of Trees in Keweenaw County.

Local Roads

County road agencies are responsible for most non-trunkline roads in Michigan. These agencies work with MDOT, townships, and municipalities.

An MDOT engineer oversees an I-96 project over the Grand River and Billwood Highway in Eaton County.

Projects & Studies

Resources regarding major road and bridge projects, ongoing studies, and daily construction information, incidents, traffic cameras, and snowplow tracking.

M-104 in Spring Lake is closed as they move a house down the road.


MDOT issues permits related to oversize/overweight loads, highway advertising, utility coordination, and work within state right of way. 

A pothole on a state trunkline filled with ice.

Damage Claims

Highway defect claims (including potholes) can be submitted if damage occurred on a state route, not local or county roads. 

State of Michigan map cover.


MDOT produces an annual state transportation map, as well as other maps. View digital files of these maps or request a printed copy.

Connect with MDOT

Media Inquiries

Contact MDOT's media representatives.

Regions & TSCs

Contact MDOT's Region Offices and TSCs.

Employee Directory

Search the employee contact directory.