Skip to main content

Oversize/Overweight Permits

M-104 in Spring Lake is closed as they move a house down the road.
Department of Transportation

Oversize/Overweight Permits

MDOT issues special permits for the movement of vehicles or loads to travel on state and federal highways which exceed the size or weight limitations specified by law.

The Transport Permits Unit ensures that the movement of necessary oversize/overweight vehicles or loads are consistent with:

  • Protection of the motoring public from potential traffic hazards.
  • Protection of highway surfaces, structures, and private property.
  • Provisions for normal flow of traffic with a minimum of interference. 

Oversize/Overweight Permit FAQs

Transport Permit Forms


For general questions, contact 517-241-8999, select option 2.

Michigan Transport Routing and Internet Permitting System (MiTRIP)

MiTRIP allows applicants to order oversize/overweight single trip or extended permits using a credit card, debit card, or electronic fund transfer (e-Check or business check) with bank accounts within the United States.

MPG/MiTRIP Registration Instructions 

MDOT only supports MiTRIP connections via Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Once a company is registered, Delegated Business Authority can be used to give access to all other users in the company.

Permit Gateway

The MDOT Permit Gateway (MPG) is the portal for ordering and renewing permits. 

For technical issues (passwords or login assistance) related to the MPG, contact or call 844-806-0002. 

For instructions on registering for MPG, visit

Apply or Renew Permits