Damage Claim Information

  • Please be advised that the majority of claims are denied under governmental immunity laws, MCL 691.1402 and MCL 691.1403.  

    Highway defect claims (including potholes) should only be submitted to MDOT if damage occurred on a state trunkline (M, I or US route), not local or county roads. If you have questions about road jurisdiction, contact your local MDOT region office or county road commission.

    All damage claim forms must be submitted to the region office where damages occurred. 

    MDOT Region Map

    Damage Claims Procedure

    • Download Form 3600
    • Print and completely fill out the form
    • Sign and notarize the form
      Note: Notarization is not required to submit a claim, but you are encouraged to do so since claims recommended for payment after the review process must be notarized. 
    • Attach supporting documentation
    • Keep a copy for your records
    • Return form and documentation to the MDOT region office located in the county where the incident occurred