Skip to main content

Human Resources

Pursuant to section 238 of PA 166 of 2022, the Department of Licensing And Regulatory Affairs (LARA) posts this notice that it has adopted a hybrid policy that includes in-person, remote, and alternative work arrangements. The department or agency has the authority to assign and schedule its employees and determine their work location. This policy also provides for work options contingent upon the operational needs of the department or agency. Approval is at the discretion of the department or agency and can be changed or rescinded based upon operational needs. The policy includes which positions may qualify for a work option, how to request one and the requirements necessary for approval.


The LARA Office of Human Resources (OHR) provides a full range of traditional human resource services to all LARA staff; we are located on the fourth floor of the Ottawa Building in downtown Lansing. Assigned bureau liaisons provide assistance to OHR by serving as first point of contact for employees, assisting bureau staff with many human resource functions.

Employee Orientation

New Hires

All new LARA employees must view the LARA Orientation Slide Show.

New Hire/Rehire

Employees who have never been employed by the State of Michigan or were previously employed by the State of Michigan but have separated from employment must:

Step 1: Complete the New Hire/Rehire Packet.

Step 2: View New Hire Benefits Information.

New hire employees must contact the MI HR Service Center at 877-766-6447 within 31 days from their date of hire to sign up for their benefits. If new employees do not enroll within the first 31 days of hire, they will have to wait until the next open enrollment period (usually in August). Benefits will be effective on the first day of the bi-weekly payroll period following EITHER the employees first day of employment OR the date when the enrollment process is completed, whichever is later.

Interdepartmental Transfer

Employees who are transferring to LARA from another State of Michigan department must complete the Interdepartmental Transfer Packet and send it the HR Transactions person during their first pay period of employment.

Student / Co-Op

New Students and Co-Ops must complete the Student / Co-Op Packet.

ID Cards

To obtain a State of Michigan ID card the Personnel Liaision will enter the applicable access codes and complete the Michigan ID & Card Access Request Process (MICARP) application which is web-based through MiLogin.  Once it is completed by the liaison it will go to the Authorized Requestor (AR) for approval. 

  • The replacement fee for lost Facility Access Key Cards and ID cards is $10.00.  Cards issued on or before October 1, 2003 are not subject to the $10.00 replacement fee.

  • There is no charge for cards that have been damaged at work and need to be replaced.  However damaged ID or Facility Access Key Cards which are less than three (3) years from the date of issuance are subject to the $10.00 replacement fee.