MDOT has two programs that were established to help preserve and provide access to Michigan’s rail system.
Preserve: The Michigan Rail Loan Assistance Program (MiRLAP) provides no-interest loans to railroads for infrastructure preservation and improvements. MDOT is not accepting MiRLAP applications at this time.
Access: The Freight Economic Development Program assists new or expanding rail customers with up to 50 percent of the costs associated with rail infrastructure on their property, like rail spurs. Projects need to have associated job creation and rail car generation. Applications are accepted at any time of the year.
Nikkie Johnson, 517-335-0939
Applications and Resources
- Freight Economic Development Application
- Michigan Economic Development Corporation
- 2020 MiRLAP Application
- Railroad Industrial Development Contacts
- Build America Bureau
- Role of Rail Infrastructure in Northern Lower MI
- Michigan Agriculture & Rural Development
- State Infrastructure Bank (SIB) Loan Program