MDOT has two programs that were established to help preserve and provide access to Michigan’s rail system.
Preserve: The Michigan Rail Loan Assistance Program (MiRLAP) provides no-interest loans to railroads for infrastructure preservation and improvements. MDOT is not accepting MiRLAP applications at this time. MDOT is currently accepting applications through Oct. 30, 2020. The application can be found in the Applications and Resources section below.
Access: The Freight Economic Development Program assists new or expanding rail customers with up to 50 percent of the costs associated with rail infrastructure on their property, like rail spurs. Projects need to have associated job creation and rail car generation. Applications are accepted at any time. The application can be found in the Applications and Resources section below.
Nikkie Johnson, 517-335-0939
Applications and Resources
- 2021 MiRLAP Application
- Railroad Industrial Development Contacts
- Freight Economic Development Application
- Build America Bureau
- Role of Rail Infrastructure in Northern Lower MI
- Michigan Agriculture & Rural Development
- State Infrastructure Bank (SIB) Loan Program
- Michigan Economic Development Corporation