At MDOT, safety is paramount. It is our goal to improve overall safety for the motoring public, internal staff, contractors performing work on roads, and emergency responders. We continue to work with MDOT partners to seek out innovative ideas and ways to keep Michigan’s motorists and workers safe. Our ultimate vision is Toward Zero Deaths (TZD) on Michigan roadways.
Featured Safety Item:
Wrong Way Warning System is designed to help prevent motorists from driving the wrong way on freeways. Cameras in the system detect when a car is driving toward it; when that happens, high-intensity red LED flasher lights mounted on each of the wrong way signs are activated, warning drivers that they are going the wrong way.
It's all about SAFETY!
- Access Management
- Rumble Strips Are Busy Saving Lives
- Connected Vehicles
- Intelligent Transportation Systems
- Median Cable Guardrail
- Michigan Traffic Incident Management Effort
- SOS Motorcycle Safety Program
- What are Local Road Safety Plans?
- MDOT Living Snow Fence
- Pedestrian Safety Brochure
- Road Diet FAQs
- Toward Zero Deaths Brochure
- Michigan Regional Traffic Safety Network
- Traffic Standards and Typicals
- Michigan's Move Over Law
- Michigan Transparency (5%) Report
- Michigan Office of Highway Safety Planning
- American Traffic Safety Services Association
- Federal Highway Administration Office of Safety
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration