Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ)
The CMAQ program funds transportation projects or programs that will contribute to the attainment or maintenance of the National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS) for ozone (NOx and VOC), carbon monoxide (CO), or particulate matter (PM 2.5).
- FHWA CMAQ Program Guidance
- MDOT CMAQ Program Guidance
- Typically Eligible and Ineligible CMAQ Projects
- Additional Items Needed for Eligibility Determination
- Guidance for Non-transit Diesel Engine Retrofit Projects
- Guidance for Operating Assistance for Traffic Operations Center
Call for Projects (CFP/Call)
The purpose of the CFP is to identify, select, and approve projects that align with MDOT's goals, policies, and strategic plan. Please submit CMAQ project applications according to the Call for Project instructions.
Projects should be submitted via JobNet through MILogin for Third Party.
- FY 2020-2023 Local CMAQ Call for Projects Program Participant Letter
- FY 2020-2023 Estimated Funding Allocation Table
Please note: CMAQ is not a grant program. The role of the CMAQ CFP Committee is to determine the Federal Aid eligibility for CMAQ funding. If a project is deemed eligible by the CMAQ CFP Committee, this is not a final approval of the project. Project applicants must also work with MDOT Regions, TSCs, LAP, and all other appropriate agencies responsible in issuing approvals and permits. It is not uncommon for a project to require modifications after an eligibility determination based on the feedback of these entities.
Transportation Performance Management (TPM)
Traffic Congestion Measures
- PHED Measure: Annual Hours of Peak Hour Excessive Delay (PHED) Per Capita
- Non-SOV Travel Measure: Percent of Non-Single Occupancy Vehicle (SOV) Travel
On-Road Mobile Source Emissions Measure
- Emission Reductions Measure: 2- and 4-year Total Emission Reductions for each applicable criteria pollutant and precursor
- CMAQ TPM Newsletter
- CMAQ TPM Presentation
- FHWA TPM Guidance
- Michigan TPM Performance Dashboard
- TPM Performance Measures for CMAQ