The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
MDOT receives recreational permit applications from individuals, local government agencies, organizations, and businesses. These applications, to operate or construct privately or publicly owned facilities within the state highway right of way, include the following types of facilities or operations:
- Races (Non-Motorized and Motorized)
- Sidewalk Cafés (Sale of Goods within Business Districts)
- Snowmobile Trail Grooming and Structures (Bridges, Signs, Path, and Tunnels)
- Commercial Filming
- Wild Flower Seed Collections (On Interstate and Freeways)
- Off-road Vehicle (ORV) Connector Routes
MDOT permits these types of facilities or operations in a manner which does not significantly compromise the integrity of state highway right of way systems, while simultaneously providing assurance to the general traveling public for the safest transportation environment possible.