Skip to main content


MDOT receives recreational permit applications from individuals, local government agencies, organizations, and businesses. These applications, to operate or construct privately or publicly owned facilities within the state highway right of way, include the following types of facilities or operations: 

MDOT permits these types of facilities or operations in a manner which does not significantly compromise the integrity of state highway right of way systems, while simultaneously providing assurance to the general traveling public for the safest transportation environment possible.

Guidelines for Requesting Alternate Use of Limited Access Right-of-Way: Nonmotorized Facilities