Skip to main content

Route Closures

parade of firetrucks
Department of Transportation

Route Closures

Temporarily closing a state highway right of way for a parade, celebration, festival or similar activity is authorized by Public Act (PA) 200 of 1969, as amended, entitled driveways, banners and parades. Only a governmental agency may request a trunkline closure from MDOT. 

Transverse crossings shall require a permit when the duration of the trunkline closure exceeds one hour. Trunkline closures for house moves must be directed thru MDOT’s Transport Permit Office. 

For more information on trunkline closures for oversize/overweight permits, visit MDOT's Truckers Page.

Governmental agencies shall submit an individual permit with the following:

  • Performance - Resolution for Governmental Bodies (Form 2207B)
  • Parade Event Permit Application (Form UP-67)
  • Time and date when the state highway right of way shall be closed and reopened to traffic.
  • Names of the streets at both ends of the section of state highway right of way to be closed.
  • Map showing the closure route and the proposed detour.
  • Signing detail and/or a letter from the local law enforcement agency indicating police traffic regulators shall be used in lieu of signing for a short term closure not exceeding one hour.
  • Reason why the closure is desired.

All construction permit applications are submitted and purchased through the MDOT Permit Gateway available thru MiLogin online system.