The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Vegetation and Drainage Control
MDOT receives vegetation and drainage control permit applications from individuals, local government agencies, organizations and businesses. These applications, to operate or construct privately or publically owned facilities within the state highway right of way, include the following types of facilities or operations:
- Adopt-a-Landscape (Planting, Mowing, and Aesthetic Enhancements)
- Cutting Grass/Hay on Interstates and Freeways
- Drainage Design (Discharging Stormwater)
- Enclosed Ditches
- Grading (Earthen Burms - Cuts & Fills, Slope Stabilization, and Turf Establishment)
- Vegetation Trimming and Removal
- Use of Pesticides/Herbicides
- Prescribed Fires
MDOT permits these types of facilities or operations in a manner which does not significantly compromise the integrity of state highway right of way systems, while simultaneously providing assurance to the general traveling public for the safest transportation environment possible.