Veteran employment opportunities with the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) is made possible through funding provided by the Federal Highway Administration. This program is intended to meet the employment needs of honorably discharged veterans of the United States Armed Forces as they transition into the civilian workforce. MDOT is partnering with nationwide service-related organizations to fill needed positions for our veterans.
Opportunities to Work - Learn - Earn
Placement depends upon the veteran’s knowledge, skills, training, education and abilities. MDOT has possible opportunities in various classifications, such as aeronautics, engineering, finance, maintenance, planning, project management, and administrative.
Benefits of the Program
- This program affords veterans opportunities to enhance current job skills while developing new ones.
- Job openings are to be filled with honorably discharged veterans.
- Veterans can compete for MDOT jobs or develop skills for opportunities outside the department.
- Veterans will be compensated at an hourly rate determined by the skill set needed for the position.
- Veterans will be provided proper training and leadership.
- Veterans Internship Program Flyer
Who Can Apply
Veteran internship vacancies are posted on the State of Michigan Job Openings website. Interested applicants can create an account. This will allow veterans to:
- Create, modify and maintain resume online for employment opportunities with the State of Michigan.
- Attach relevant documentation, such as DD-214.
Note: If retiring and you do not have a completed DD-214, a statement of service on command letterhead stating status will be accepted. If selected for the position, it is a condition of employment to provide a copy of the DD-214 prior to hire.
- Review available positions of interest and research job descriptions and requirements.
- Apply accordingly if interested and you qualify for consideration for the position.
- Track submitted applications and their status.
- Set job alerts to your interests and veteran categories to keep you informed of new opportunities.
To apply, contact:
Michigan Department of Transportation
Office of Organizational Development
425 West Ottawa St.
P.O. Box 30050
Lansing, MI 48909