The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
State Transportation Innovation Council (STIC)
The Michigan State Transportation Innovation Council (MI-STIC) can bring together stakeholders that represent all those market forces and work together to lead innovation in their state transportation program to foster a collaborative culture for rapid implementation of meaningful innovations to efficiently deliver the public a modern high quality highway system.
2021 STIC Excellence Award
The MI-STIC was recently awarded the National STIC Excellence Award by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) Innovation Initiative. The award recognizes STICS who have made a "significant impact toward fostering a strong culture for innovation" at their institutions. To learn more about the award, visit the STIC Excellence Award website.
Get to Know Mi-STIC
Mi-STIC Meeting Information
To learn more about Mi-STIC, its partnerships, events, and innovations, please visit the StoryMap State Transportation Innovation Councils: Creating Innovative Partnerships with States to Improve Transportation
Please see the Mi-STIC New Member Criteria and Process for additional information about Mi-STIC membership.
For more information about the application process, view the STIC Incentive Application - Sample. Additionally, you can also review a completed proposal - Mi-STIC Incentive Proposal-VPI.
For more information on MDOT's STIC Program contact:
Engineer of Research
To learn more about the overall STIC program, please visit the FHWA's STIC Network.
Federal Highway Association (FHWA):
Tom Barrett, Michigan Senate
Jack O'Malley, Michigan House
Ryan Buck, Washtenaw Area Transportation Study (WATS)
Rachelle VanDeventer, Michigan Infrastructure and Transportation Association (MITA)
Ron Brenke, American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC)
Tim Colling, Local Technical Assistance Program (LTAP)
Daniel DeGraaf, Michigan Concrete Association (MCA)
Chuck Mills, Asphalt Pavement Association of Michigan (APAM)
Doug Needham, Michigan Aggregates Association (MAA)
Monica Ackerson Ware, Michigan Road Preservation Association (MRPA)
Wayne Schoonover, National Association of County Engineers (NACE)
Denise Donohue, County Road Association (CRA) of Michigan
Wayne Harrall, Kent County
Bob Lindbeck, Alger County
Steve Puuri, County Road Association (CRA) of Michigan
Brett Stanton, Asphalt Paving Association of Michigan (APAM)
Marcus Anderson, National DBE Association Round Table
- Tetra Tech FusionMap presentation is available in the presentations section.
- Robotic Maintenance Vehicles presentation is available in the presentations section.
- Mi-STIC: 10 Years of Advancing Innovation in Michigan presentation is available in the presentations section.
- Representative Jack O'Malley: A Discussion on Committee Work and a Legislative Perspective presentation is available in the presentations section.
- Innovative Inductive Charging project and Wrong Way Driving project updates and Peer Exchange report presentation is available in the presentations section.
- SITECH Michigan presentation is available in the presentation section.
- Disaster Fiscal Recovery Playbook presentation is available in the presentation section.
- Innovations in Concrete presentation is available in the presentations section.
- VPI Update presentation is available in the presentations section.
- VPI Guidebook
- Making Data into Information presentation is available in the presentations section.
- Michigan Aggregates Association presentation is available in the presentations section.
- Innovative Programs for County Road Agencies presentation is available in the presentations section.
- Green Auxiliary Warning Lights on Winter Maintenance Trucks presentation is available in the presentations section.
- Asphalt Pavement Association of Michigan presentation is available in the presentations section.
- Local Technical Assistance Program - August 28, 2023
- Innovation in Concrete - June 26, 2023
- Tetra Tech FusionMap - April 24, 2023
- Robotic Maintenance Vehicles - February 27, 2023
- STIC Highlights - April 19, 2023
- MDOT Digital Vision Project
- Bay Region Sunflower Program
- Use of Dielectric Profiling System (DPS) for Rapid Continuous Measurement of Asphalt Mixture Density
- Mesh Metal Panel Alternatives
- Adopting Digital Radiographic Testing for Steel Girder Fabrication
- Automated Work Zone Enforcement
- Freeway Chip Seals
- Construction Survey Advancements
- Tactical Urbanism-Practical Partnerships for Testing Ideas - February 18, 2022
- STIC Highlights - March 16, 2022
- Adaptive Signal Control Technology in Traverse City
- Roller Compacted Concrete Pavement Roadway
- Automated Flagging Assistance Devices (AFADs)
- Virtual Public Involvement (VPI)
- Ancillary Structures Asset Management Program
- Density Profiling System (DPS)
- Develop and Implement a Freeze Thaw Model Based Seasonal Load Restriction Decision Support Tool
- Digital Speed Limits Signs
- Wrap Up
- Mi-STIC: 10 Years of Advancing Innovation in Michigan - March 21, 2022
- Slope Restoration on Urban Freeways - May 23, 2022
- Representative Jack O'Malley: A Discussion on Committee Work and a Legislative Perspective - August 29, 2022
- Innovative Inductive Charging project and Wrong Way Driving project updates and Peer Exchange report - September 26, 2022
- SITECH Michigan presentation - October 24, 2022
- Disaster Fiscal Recovery Playbook - December 19, 2022
- STIC Highlights - March 17, 2021
- Innovations in Concrete - April 19, 2021
- Innovations in Concrete (PowerPoint Presentation)
- VPI Update - May 21, 2021
- Making Data into Information - June 21, 2021
- Michigan Aggregates Association presentation - August 23, 2021
- STIC Highlights - September 15, 2021
- Liquid Deicing Route Pilot Project
- Autonomous Wheelchair Securement
- Use of Ultraviolet Cured-in-Place Pipe Liners
- Extending Life of Side-by-Side Box Beam Bridge Superstructures
- Using LIDAR to Monitor Deflection of M-10 Retaining Walls
- Michigan Transportation Program Portal (STIP/5YTP) and the Rebuilding Michigan Dashboard
- US-31 at I-94 Connection Alternative Analysis
- Michigan Transportation Construction Price Index
- Innovative Programs for County Road Agencies - October 25, 2021
- Green Auxiliary Warning Lights on Winter Maintenance Trucks (PowerPoint Presentation) - November 19, 2021
- Asphalt Pavement Association of Michigan presentation - December 20, 2021
- FHWA Background and History of EDC and STIC (PowerPoint Presentation)
- Comparison of other state STICs (PowerPoint Presentation)
Learn more about MDOT Firsts and innovations in Research, Work Zones, New Materials, Innovative Contracts, and Technology by visiting the new MDOT Innovations website. Please note, the website is best viewed using either Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome browsers.
For a brief overview on how to navigate and browse MDOT Innovations, please see the How to use the MDOT Innovations website video.