The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
I-196 Business Loop repairs start Monday in South Haven
March 27, 2023
- MDOT is making a $5.1 million investment to repair and repave 5 miles of I-196 Business Loop (BL) from 15th Avenue to 73rd Street including the ramps at Exit 20 Phoenix Street.
- The project includes concrete pavement replacement at the I-196 BL intersection at Blue Star Highway.
- Work is planned to start in early April, and the anticipated completion is in late June.
KALAMAZOO, Mich. - The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) will be repairing and repaving 5 miles of I-196 Business Loop (BL) from 15th Avenue to 73rd Street in South Haven, Van Buren County. The $5.1 million investment also includes concrete pavement replacement at the I-196 BL and Blue Star Highway intersection, and ramp repairs at I-196 Exit 20 Phoenix Street.
Work is expected to start Monday, April 3, and the anticipated completion date is Tuesday, June 20. Motorists can expect single-lane closures on I-196 BL throughout the project, and there will be posted detours for the intersection work at Blue Star Highway and Exit 20 interchange ramp repaving.
There will be different posted detours in April during work at the I-196 BL and Blue Star Highway intersection, and during work at I-196 Exit 20.
During the I-196 BL and Blue Star Highway intersection work, Blue Star Highway will be detoured on I-196 BL and M-43, and local traffic will be detoured on Cook Street and Cherry Street. The detour routes will change in mid-April to eastbound I-196 BL, northbound I-196, and North Shore Drive, and to Wilson Street and Bailey Street for local traffic.
Detours also will be posted for I-196 Exit 20 closures.
Early to mid-April:
- I-196 Exit 20 to eastbound Phoenix Street: Detour to I-196 Exit 18.
- Eastbound Phoenix Street to northbound I-196: Detour is Phoenix Street to Blue Star Highway to North Shore Drive.– Westbound Phoenix Street to northbound I-196: Detour is Phoenix Street to Blue Star Highway to North Shore Drive.
Mid- to late April:
- Southbound I-196 to I-196 BL: Detour is I-196 Exit 22 North Shore Drive to Blue Star Highway to I-196 BL.
- Eastbound Phoenix Street to southbound I-196: Blue Star Highway to southbound I-196 BL.
Project status and detour routes will be updated and available on Mi Drive at www.Michigan.gov/Drive.