The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Reminder: westbound closures start for I-696 ‘Restore the Reuther’ project and I-96 Flex Route from US-24 to Beck Road
April 13, 2023
FARMINGTON HILLS/NOVI, Mich. - The I-696 “Restore the Reuther” Rebuilding Michigan project and the I-96 Flex Route project require major repairs on the westbound side of both freeways.
Beginning at 8 p.m. Friday, April 14, through 5 a.m. Monday, April 17, westbound I-696 will be closed from US-24 (Telegraph Road) to I-275 for pavement repair work. The following ramps will be closed as part of the westbound I-696 freeway closure:
- Southbound US-24 ramp to westbound I-696
- Northbound M-10 ramp to westbound I-696
- Franklin Road ramp to westbound I-696
- Northbound Orchard Lake ramp to westbound I-696
- Southbound Orchard Lake ramp to westbound I-696
From 4 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday, April 15, westbound I-96 will continue the westbound closure from I-275 to Beck Road. The following ramps will be closed beginning at 4 a.m. and will reopen as work is completed. Some ramps may reopen early Saturday and others later in the day:
- Southbound Novi Road ramp to westbound I-96 – reopens 8 a.m. Saturday, April 15
- Northbound Novi Road ramp to westbound I-96 – reopens 11 a.m. Saturday, April 15
- Southbound M-5 ramp to westbound I-96 – reopens 11 a.m. Saturday, April 15
- Northbound I-275 ramp to westbound I-96 – reopens 5 p.m. Saturday, April 15
- Westbound I-696 traffic will be detoured on southbound US-24 (Telegraph Road) to westbound M-102 (8 Mile Road) to northbound M-5 to westbound 12 Mile Road to southbound Novi Road, then to westbound I-96.
- When the ramp from southbound Novi Road to westbound I-96 is closed, detoured traffic will continue west on 12 Mile Road to southbound Beck Road then to westbound I-96.
This $275 million project includes rebuilding the roadway from the base up, including storm sewer replacement work and rebuilding ramps at Orchard Lake Road, American Drive, Franklin Road, and US-24 (Telegraph Road).
During 2023 eastbound I-696 will be rebuilt from I-275 to east of US-24 (Telegraph Road). Westbound lanes will be rebuilt in 2024. Project details can be found at DrivingOakland.com.
Funding for this project is made possible by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's Rebuilding Michigan program to rebuild the state highways and bridges that are critical to the state's economy and carry the most traffic. The investment strategy is aimed at fixes that result in longer useful lives and improve the condition of the state's infrastructure.
Based on economic modeling, this investment is expected to directly and indirectly support 3,500 jobs.