Skip to main content

Border Crossing Requirements

Enhanced Driver's License and State ID Card

Travelers returning to the U.S. by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean must have a passport, passport card or other federally approved document to enter the country. This requirement is part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), which was enacted to heighten border security.

To comply with WHTI and provide Michigan residents with a cost-effective and convenient document that meets driving, identification and border-crossing needs, Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land proposed the enhanced driver's license and state identification card. This initiative received federal approval in October 2008.

Any Michigan resident who is a U.S. citizen may apply for an enhanced license or ID card. They are excellent options to the standard license and ID, especially for the thousands of travelers and commercial drivers that cross the U.S.-Canadian border daily.

More information is available online at the Michigan Secretary of State.