The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
MDOT receives government permit applications from local government agencies. These applications, to operate or construct publically owned facilities within the state highway right of way, include the following types of facilities or operations:
- Local Government Agency Projects (Traffic Control Signs, Road and Bridge Reconstruction)
- Governmental Signing (Directional)
- Banners (Event Announcements)
- Route Closures (Parades and Festivals)
- Right-of-Way Permit Requirements for Research Contracts
- Highway Aesthetic Element Guidelines
MDOT permits these types of facilities or operations in a manner which does not significantly compromise the integrity of state highway right of way systems, while simultaneously providing assurance to the general traveling public for the safest transportation environment possible.