The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Highway-railroad grade crossing surface repair award recipients announced for 2024
December 06, 2023
LANSING, Mich. - As a part of the Michigan Department of Transportation's (MDOT) commitment to improving safety and the quality of Michigan's transportation system, MDOT has announced the recipients of the annual Local Grade Crossing Surface Program. The complete list of 2024 recipients is available on the MDOT website.
Selected on a competitive basis established by state law, 26 projects were awarded approximately $3 million to fund highway-railroad grade crossing surface improvements. These projects could involve anything from minor asphalt repairs to installing completely new track and surface materials.
The program offers 60 percent funding for eligible projects, with railroads responsible for the remaining 40 percent of costs. All repair work is performed by the railroad company and its contractors, with cooperation for detour routes provided by the local road agencies. The railroad and local road agency are responsible for scheduling the construction work.