Ridesharing is a great option if you live more than 20 miles from work. It can reduce travel costs such as fuel, parking, maintenance, and repair bills, as well as reduce stress and pollution.
What if you need an emergency ride home from work? Many rideshare programs offer a Guaranteed Ride Home for eligible commuters.
Local Rideshare Offices help commuters find vacancies in existing carpools/vanpools or match people who are interested in forming a new carpool/vanpool.
MichiVan Commuter Vanpools
MichiVan, sponsored by the Michigan Department of Transportation and operated by Enterprise Rideshare, supplies fully insured passenger vans to commuter groups. Under this program:
- 5 to 15 commuters share a van along an established route
- Riders pay a monthly fee as low as $55 per month
(Based on their daily round trip/monthly commute mileage and the size of van)
- The MichiVan operator, currently Enterprise Rideshare, provides the vehicle and pays for the maintenance/repairs, insurance, titling, and licensing
- A vanpool group usually meets at a centralized location
(Ex: Shopping mall, grocery store or carpool lot)
- A free ride home for unexpected emergencies, program rules and guidelines apply
The vanpool program is open to individuals of the public. The MichiVan operator also helps employers develop vanpools and ridesharing programs.