$8 Million Michigan Mobility Challenge
The State of Michigan is officially launching the $8 million Michigan Mobility Challenge with the Call for Projects. The Challenge is a collaborative effort that includes the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT), PlanetM/Michigan Economic Development Corporation, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency, The Bureau of Services for Blind Persons, and the Michigan Department of Civil Rights – Division on Deaf, Deafblind, and Hard of Hearing. MDOT will distribute $8 million to fund multiple innovative pilot transportation projects of varying sizes that can solve mobility gaps for seniors, persons with disabilities and veterans in urban, rural and suburban communities throughout the state of Michigan.
We would like to thank everyone who reached across industries and borders to form meaningful partnerships in the name of helping people overcome mobility gaps that prevent them from accessing the goods and services they need and deserve. There was an overwhelming response to the call for projects – 43 proposals totaling over $27 million in funding requests. Our goal was to conduct demonstration projects throughout the state, in both urban and rural settings, that would use technology and innovation to solve mobility gaps for seniors, persons with disabilities and veterans. There were more worthy projects than we could fund, but we selected projects that we believe will help move Michigan’s mobility in the right direction. Hopefully there will be more opportunities in the future to fund projects that can further inform the path to mobility for all.
Thirteen projects have been funded, all led by a combination of public and private partners whose expertise will allow us to learn valuable lessons about the use of emerging technology and innovative service design. These lessons will be shared on this website so that service providers can confidently implement enhancements that will improve mobility and increase efficiency. The lessons and reports will also guide the development of new technologies to fill outstanding gaps and improve upon current innovations.
- Ann Arbor Area Transportation Authority awarded $187,000 Michigan Mobility Challenge grant
- Bedestrian awarded $100,000 Michigan Mobility Challenge grant
- Capital Area Transportation Authority awarded $465,000 Michigan Mobility Challenge grant
- Feonix - Mobility Rising awarded $457,000 Michigan Mobility Challenge grant
- Flint Mass Transit Authority awarded $603,500 Michigan Mobility Challenge grant
- Hope Network awarded $258,000 Michigan Mobility Challenge grant
- Huron Mobility Initiative awarded $402,800 Michigan Mobility Challenge grant
- Kevadiya awarded $233,000 Michigan Mobility Challenge grant
- Michigan Universal Vehicle Ecosystem Pilot awarded $1.2 Million Michigan Mobility Challenge grant
- SMIPPS awarded $1 Million Michigan Mobility Challenge grant
- SPLT awarded $990,000 Michigan Mobility Challenge grant
- Snyder, state leaders launch $8 Million Michigan Mobility Challenge
- The Rapid awarded $373,782 Michigan Mobility Challenge grant
- Veterans will be focus of $2.1 Million Michigan Mobility Challenge Grant
Workshop Event Notes
The $8 Million Michigan Mobility Challenge Workshop was an invitation-only event where state officials, local transit agencies, planning organizations, advocates for the target populations, private-sector partners, startup founders, and other industry experts came together for a day of discussion and working sessions designed to help define the specifications and requirements to shape and guide the construction of the call for projects. To the right, you will find materials related to the workshop and notes gathered during the afternoon discussion sessions. You also can see video of the plenary sessions. The seven round robin-style discussion sessions provided attendees time to discuss the mobility challenges that exist throughout the state for the target populations (seniors, persons with disabilities and veterans) and potential solutions that technology and innovation might offer.
See all Mobility Challenge Workshop videos.
- Kick-off Workshop Flier
- Advocates for Seniors
- Advocates for Seniors - 2
- Advocates for Blind Persons & Persons with Disabilities
- Advocates for Veterans & Persons with Disabilities
- Advocates for People with Disabilities (deaf, blind, deaf-blind, autism)
- Advocates for People with Disabilities (epilepsy)
- Advocates for People with Disabilities