Characteristics of Safe Weight Loss Programs
A moderate balanced diet and physical activity may not be the fastest ways to lose weight, but they will keep you trimmer and healthier in the long run.
Remember, a good eating plan does more than just help you lose weight. It's the foundation of a healthy lifestyle that will keep you fit, healthy and feeling great for life. Using www.myplate.gov is a great way to create a balanced diet.
Weight Loss Programs
If you are considering a program that advertises weight loss, here are some characteristics of safe programs:
- It should encourage you to check with your physician or health care provider before starting.
- It should be offered by professionals: a registered dietitian, an exercise specialist or a qualified expert in behavior change.
- It will not misrepresent sales people as counselors.
- It should help you evaluate if you are ready to make the long-term changes that are necessary to sustain permanent weight loss.
- It should help you choose foods and activities that fit into your lifestyle.
- It should be one that you can live with for the rest of your life.
- It should include maintenance suggestions and support.
- It should encourage you to set reasonable and achievable goals that are consistent with good health and wellness.
- It should recommend a rate of weight loss of no more than 1-2 pounds per week.
- It should focus on a healthy, well-balanced diet that does not exclude one or more of the food groups.
- It should stress a three-pronged approach: healthy eating, physical activity and behavior modification.