The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Safe Sleep for Infants
Follow these Safe Sleep Steps to keep your baby safe:
- Place baby alone on their back, in a crib, bassinet or pack n' play for every sleep time - nap time and night time.
- Use a firm mattress with a tightly fitted sheet.
- Keep baby's sleep space clutter free - no pillows, blankets or toys.
- Breastfeed, if you can. Breastfeeding support is available.
- Keep baby's sleep space where you can see and hear them. Share your room, not your bed.
- Avoid covering baby's head or overheating. Instead of a blanket, consider using a sleep sack, wearable blanket or footed sleeper to keep baby warm.
- Remind everyone who cares for your baby, including babysitters and family members, how to keep baby safe while sleeping.
Learn more about the Safe Sleep Steps and why they are recommended to keep your baby safe.
Safe Sleep Communications Toolkit - Help Raise Awareness
Order Safe Sleep Materials
Get the Facts