The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Home Care Children’s (HCC) / TEFRA Program
Home Care Children’s (HCC) OverviewA “Pathway to Medicaid” for children with disabilities
TEFRA (Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982) gives states the option to make Medicaid (Home Care Children's in Michigan) benefits available to children with physical or mental disabilities who would not ordinarily be eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits because of their parent or guardian's income or resources. This option allows children who are eligible for institutional services be cared for in their homes.
Val Newton, BSN, RN phone: (517) 335-8992 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Caitlin Conroy, MSN, PNP-AC phone: (517) 335-4210 Email: email@example.com
To be eligible, a child must meet the following requirements:
- Be 18 years old or younger
- Resident of the State of Michigan
- Meet the Social Security definition of disability
- Have qualifying income and resources
- Meet one of the three following level of care qualifications; intermediate care for individuals with intellectual disabilities, skilled nursing facility, or hospital
- It must be appropriate to care for the child at home
- The estimated cost of caring for the child at home cannot exceed the estimated cost of caring for the child in the determined level of care
What to Submit:
All forms must be completed in full and submitted together at one time. Submitting partially completed forms, or forms separately WILL DELAY the process for determining eligibility for HCC.
- Demographic form
- DHHS-49 form
- Must be completed by a pediatric provider
- Current medical reports from specialty providers
- Current IEP/IFSP (if applicable)
- Community Mental Health Individual Plan of Service
- 24-hr plan of care
- Completed by parent/guardian
- List services / supplies / supports child is trying to obtain and can not
- Optional template here
How to Apply
Call your local health department or one of the above contacts to have a packet of forms and information sent to you.
Packet of completed forms and documents can be submitted to your local health department, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, faxed to MDHHS CSHCS RE: HCC/TEFRA at 517-335-9491 or can be mailed to:
Attn: CSHCS – TEFRA
400 South Pine Street
Lansing, MI 48933
Submitting packets without all required forms completely filled out will delay processing for program eligibility.
For Local Health Departments, please see SharePoint