Skip to main content


group of kids
Department of Health and Human Services


Open Your Heart and Your Home

Approximately 3,000 Michigan foster children are available for adoption at any given time. Of those children, nearly 300 do not have an identified adoptive family. We need your help to give these children a forever home.

3 Easy Steps to Adopt

Review the Getting Started publications for an overview of the state's adoption program.

Contact Michigan Adoption Resource Exchange (MARE) to get started, 1-800-589-6273. MARE provides you with all the resources you need and connects you with a licensed adoption agency. The MARE site also provides photos and information on Michigan children available for adoption.

Visit Whether you're just starting the process to foster or adopt, waiting for a placement, or looking for post-adoption resources, they have step-by-step information, national photo listings, and more.

Understanding Michigan's Adoption Program

When the state cannot return a foster child to their home, the goal is to place children into adoptive homes as quickly as possible after parental rights have been terminated.

Together with private agencies, MDHHS staff searches for adoptive families that will best meet the needs of the child. Whenever possible, adoptive placements are made with relatives and foster parents and every effort is made to keep siblings together.

Michigan has been recognized as a leader for our innovative approach to adoption and our high adoptive placement rates. The success of Michigan's program can be attributed to the unique partnership between public and private agencies responsible for adoption planning and placement of foster children who become permanent wards.

Department of Human Services does not handle all types of adoptions. Parental consent adoption occurs when birth parents directly consent, in a court of law, to the adoption of their child. For information on direct placement adoptions, international adoptions, stepparent adoptions or any other type of adoption where a child is not a permanent court ward, contact a licensed private adoption agency in your county or the circuit court.