Skip to main content

Correct A Birth Record

To correct or change a Michigan birth certificate you must apply through the mail. Please complete the applicable application below and mail to the address on the top of the application along with a copy of your photo identification, application fee and required documentation. If there are any problems with your order or more documentation is needed, we will contact you. Please see our FAQ’s for required documentation.


  • We require separate checks or money orders for each application being requested.
  • Pre-Paid Self-Addressed envelopes are not permitted.
  • Original documents will not be returned to you. Original signatures are required on applications and notarized affidavits. All other documents can be photocopies.

Applications to Change a Michigan Birth Record

To change or correct errors or omissions on a Michigan birth record.


This form is NOT to be used to remove a father's name from a birth record.

  • Affidavit of Parentage Voluntary form for unmarried parents to acknowledge parentage in lieu of a court order


Application to verify whether a change has been made to a Michigan birth or death record or a Michigan birth or death record has been requested. If a change is found, you will receive a copy of the application and a letter from the Changes Unit. If a change is not found, you will receive a letter indicating so.

For additional assistance on how to make a correction to a Michigan birth record please call the Changes Unit directly at 517-335-8660.   You can also e-mail you will receive a response within 1-3 business days.

Establishing a Delayed Birth Record

To receive an application to create a delayed registration of birth you must first order your birth certificate. If there is no record on file, we will send you the delayed registration application.

Correcting a Michigan Marriage or Divorce Record

To correct a Michigan marriage record, please contact the Court in the county where the license was obtained.

To correct a Michigan divorce record, contact the Court in the county the divorce was obtained or the lawyer that filed the divorce.

Correcting a Record that Occurred Outside of Michigan

If you need to correct or change a record of a vital event that occurred in another state, you should contact that state's vital records office.

Click here for a list of addresses and phone numbers***