Birth Control Methods
There is no single "best" method of birth control. Choosing a method that fits for you at this time in your life is a personal decision.
You May Want to Ask Yourself:
- What are my goals about becoming pregnant or preventing pregnancy?
- Do I want the most effective birth control method possible?
- Do I want a method that works with or without hormones?
- How important is it that my birth control method is convenient to use?
- Do I want a pill I take every day? A method I use every time?
- A method I place once week? Once a month? Every three months?
- A method that lasts for three years? Five years? Or longer?
You Want to Know About Each Method:
- How each method works to prevent pregnancy?
- How easy is each method to use?
- What are the benefits, risks, or side effects?
- Which methods also protect against sexually transmitted infections (STIs)?
A family planning provider can answer your questions and help you think about your method choice. To learn more about birth control methods for men and women, click below: