Site Visit Guidance for LHD Staff Conducting Visits
Visit Types & Prioritization
Vaccines for Children (VFC) Compliance Visits: VFC Compliance Visits are conducted to assess compliance with VFC program requirements. This includes identifying potential issues with accountability and determining whether public vaccines are being handled, stored, and administered under the guidelines and policies governing the VFC program. Site visits are also excellent opportunities to engage provider staff and develop and strengthen ongoing relationships.
Immunization Quality Improvement (QI) Visits: Immunization Quality Improvement (QI) visits promote and support implementation of provider-level strategies designed to help increase on-time vaccination of children and adolescents. The QI visit is a 12-month process where local, county, or state health department immunization staff and VFC-enrolled provider staff collaborate to identify QI strategies to increase timely vaccine administration by improving and enhancing immunization workflow at the practice.
Visit prioritization and site selection: Site visits must be performed no later than 24 months from the date of the previous VFC Compliance Visit. Consideration should be given to: tribal health centers, sites with a large patient population, sites with recent vaccine losses, and sites with recent staff turnover.
Resources to Support Site Visits
The documents below are for Local Health Department (LHD) and Michigan Department of Health & Human Services (MDHHS) consultants only. Please utilize these to support implementation of VFC and QI site visits.
- VFC “Site Visit Guidance” Document - Updated 8/24/20
- QI At-A-Glance for Providers - Updated September 2020
- QI At-A-Glance for Consultants - Updated September 2020
- General VFC Compliance Site Visit Notice (updated 2/21/20): Letter to inform all providers that they will be contacted to schedule a visit soon
- QI/VFC Combined Site Visit Confirmation Letter (updated 2/21/20): Letter to send with confirmation of scheduled visit and expectation of visit
- MI QI Visit Confirmation Letter - NEW!
- Safety Guidance for VFC & QI Site Visits - NEW!
- VFC-PEAR Preparation Checklist - Checklist for Pre, During, and Post-Visit - Updated 8/24/20
- VFC Enrollment Visit Support
- Immunization QI Preparation Checklist - Updated 8/25/20
VFC Frequently Used Reviewer Tools
- VFC Documentation Companion: assists with assessment of storage unit, chart pull, etc.
- VFC Documentation Companion - extra storage unit pages only
- VIS Master List: document with all VIS dates of publication
- MDHHS Storage & Handling Table: should be posted on unit
- MDHHS Preparation & Administration Table: should be posted in vaccine prep area
- “Do Not Unplug” Signs: options for required postage on circuit breaker and outlet
- Borrowing Log: borrows must be assessed since last site visit
- Virtual VFC Visits - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - NEW!
- PEAR Section 7: Michigan-Specific Follow-up Reference Guide - Updated 8/24/20
- PEAR Section 7: Michigan-Specific Paper Assessment Tool - Updated 8/24/20
- Documenting Annual Training in PEAR
- Obtain the following directly from PEAR to ensure the latest version utilized
- Michigan QI Operations Guide - Updated 8/25/20
- Michigan QI Database User Guide - Updated 8/25/20
- Michigan Summary of QI Requirements - Updated September 2020
- Michigan QI Cycle Process - Updated 8/25/20
- MI QI Effective Communication for Consultants - NEW!
- CDC Immunization Workflow Assessment - NEW!
- MI QI The Role of the Immunization Champion - NEW!
- MI QI Technical Assistance 4 Consultants - NEW!
- MI QI Site Visit Form + IQIP Coverage Goals Form - NEW!
- Michigan TeleIQIP Guidance - NEW!
- MI Immunization QI Reports Descriptions - NEW!
- MI Immunization QI - How to Generate & Retrieve QI Reports - NEW!
Quality Improvement Strategy Discussion Prompts
- Give a Strong Vaccine Recommendation
- Leveraging IIS Functionality
- Schedule the Next Immunization Visit
- Michigan Custom QI Strategy: Promote Flu Vaccine - NEW!
- Post-Visit Follow-up Letter (updated 2/21/20)
- FSR Excel Spreadsheet (updated 1/13/20) – must submit quarterly to receive payment for visits and INEs performed
- FSR Excel Spreadsheet for FY2020-2021 (FY2020 begins Oct 2020) - NEW!
- FSR Checklist
- FY20 Program Specific Assurances and Requirements
- VFC FSR Tip Sheet: assists with utilizing PEAR reports to verify FSR documentation
AVP Flu-Only Providers