Skip to main content



You will be asked to prove much of the information you provided on your application. Most proof, or verification, must be "current" and dated within the last 30 days. We may need to contact a third party such as your landlord or employer in order to verify your situation. Your signature on your application for assistance gives us permission to do so.

We will tell you if a document/proof is needed, provide time (generally 10 days) to get the proof, and if necessary, help you to obtain the required proof. Sometimes it may be difficult or impossible for you to provide a certain document/proof. Bring these problems to the attention of your specialist so other options can be explored.

Choose the documents you have from the lists below and submit them with your application. These include, but are not limited to the items listed below.

Cash, Food, Medical & Emergency Assistance Day Care (Child Development & Care Program)
  • Identification.
  • Social Security numbers for everyone in the household who is applying.
  • Income (current or date it stopped).
  • Application or receipt of unemployment compensation benefits (UCB).
  • Assets (bank account statements, 401(k) and other investment account balances, investment accounts, trust funds, etc.).
  • Shelter expenses (rent receipt, mortgage payment, property tax bill, home owner insurance, heat, electric, phone, water, etc.).
  • Child support paid.
  • Day care expenses.
  • Medical or health insurance card.
  • Medical bills, unpaid.
  • Shutoff notices for shelter, heat or utilities.
  • Alien/Immigration status.
  • Marriage certificate.
  • Divorce decree.
  • Paternity acknowledgement.
  • Pregnancy, expected date of delivery and number of children expected.
  • Identification.
  • Social Security number (not mandatory).
  • Citizenship/Alien status, if you are not a U.S. citizen, for each child needing care.
  • Child care provider's name, address, phone number, provider number# or license number.
  • Proof of need for child care for each parent/substitute parent (employment, high school completion, Michigan Works! Agency-approved activity, family preservation).
  • Proof of need for child care for children over age 12 (court order or physician's statement).
  • Income (pay stubs, SSI, check stubs or award letters, etc.).
  • Child support payments received (court order, name and address of child's absent parent).