MIChild Program General Information
What is MIChild?
MIChild is a health care program provided through the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS).
How do I apply?
You can apply by:
- Applying online at www.michigan.gov/mibridges. This is the quickest way to receive results.
- Calling the Michigan Health Care Helpline at 1-855-789-5610
- Filling out a paper application
- Visiting your local Michigan Department of Health and Human Services office
To qualify, you must:
- Be under age 19
- Have no other comprehensive health insurance
- Have a Social Security Number (or have applied for one)
- Currently live in Michigan
- Meet the income requirements
MIChild covers medically necessary services such as:
- doctor visits
- emergency services
- family planning
- hearing and speech services
- home health care
- hospice care
- inpatient and outpatient hospital care
- medical supplies
- medicine prescribed by a doctor
- mental health services
- non-emergency medical transportation
- nursing home care
- personal care services
- physical and occupational therapy
- podiatry (foot care)
- pregnancy care (prenatal, delivery, and post-partum)
- private duty nursing
- immunizations (shots)
- substance use disorder treatment services
How much does it cost?
Most MIChild families pay a premium of $10 per month or $120 per year, regardless of the number of children in the family with MIChild coverage. There are no co-pays in MIChild.
What happens if I don’t pay my premium?
If you do not pay your premium on time you will lose your coverage and have to reapply for MIChild.