Resilience Efforts at the National and Local Levels
National Initiatives, Research, and Guidance
- CDC Climate Ready States and Cities Initiative
- CDC National Environmental Public Health Tracking Network
- EPA Climate Impacts on Human Health
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences: Climate Change & Human Health
- US Global Climate Research Program: Climate and Health Assessment
Local Initiatives Collaborating with MICHAP
Health Impact Assessments
Ingham County Health Department, Lansing, MI
A Health Impact Assessment of Non-Motorized Improvements in East Lansing
- Ingham County Health Department in partnership with Public Sector Consultants evaluated options for climate sustainability and environmental benefits by conducting an HIA of key-motorized transportation elements of the City of East Lansing's draft Climate Sustainability Plan and Non-Motorized Transportation Plan.
City of Grand Rapids (Planning), Grand Rapids, MI
Michigan Street Corridor Plan: A Health Impact Assessment
- The City of Grand Rapids Planning Department in partnership with Kent County Health Department evaluated three development scenarios of the Michigan Street Corridor to alleviate traffic congestion, accommodate additional land development, ensure access to housing and needed services for disadvantaged populations, and improve the physical health and wellbeing of the community.
- MICHAP in partnership with the City of Ann Arbor conducted an HIA to examine the health and psychosocial benefits associated with targeting tree plantings to residential areas of Ann Arbor, Michigan with lower tree canopy and populations vulnerable to both directly to extreme heat events and to health conditions affected by heat and tree canopy. It is intended to inform the tree planting strategy of the City of Ann Arbor Urban Community Forestry Management Plan, by recommending priority neighborhoods for tree plantings.
MICHAP Local Partners
- Land Information Access Association: Resilient Michigan
- Detroiters Working for Environmental Justice: Detroit Climate Action Collaborative
- The Michigan Municipal League: Michigan Green Communities Challenge
- MSU Extension Climate Change and Variability
- Detroit Green Infrastructure Collaborative