Skip to main content

Public Assistance and Child Support

State and federal law requires those receiving public assistance to cooperate with the Office of Child Support and the Prosecuting Attorney. The term "public assistance" includes a wide variety of assistance programs you may receive, including cash assistance, food assistance and medical services.

The child support program will help you:

  • Establish paternity;
  • Establish a child support order (even if you have a personal agreement or divorce order in place stating no child support is ordered); or
  • Seek any needed changes to an existing order.

If you are receiving public assistance, the Office of Child Support will send a letter to you. The letter will ask you to provide additional information by a certain due date.

Pay attention to the due date and follow the instructions in the letter. If you do not provide the information by the due date, you may be found uncooperative. This will put your case into noncooperation status, which could result in your public assistance benefits being reduced or stopped.

When you receive your letter, access the online Child Support Response form.