The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Handle with Care for Schools
- When a child is exposed to violence or trauma, a law enforcement officer contacts the identified school personnel (superintendent’s office, principal or counselor) who will take the initial information (Handle With Care Notice).The superintendent’s office, principal or counselor ensures notification is provided to appropriate teacher(s).
- Teachers observe child’s behavior/academic performance and utilize trauma sensitive interventions as appropriate.
- If child exhibits problems (emotional/behavioral/academic, etc.), the teacher refers the child to the school counselor.
- The school counselor assesses the child’s needs to determine if counseling/services are needed and makes a recommendation to the parent/guardian.
- The counselor or social worker refers the caregiver/child for follow-up services as deemed appropriate.
- The school attempts to obtain written consent from the parent/guardian for care providers and school staff to communicate about the best interest of the child.
- School provides trauma sensitive training to ALL school employees within a year. A process is developed to alert appropriate school staff of the child’s exposure to violence.
- School provides space for law enforcement desensitization process as needed.
- School provide spaces for specialized trauma therapist as needed.
- School designates appropriate staff to attend Handle With Care Core Team Meeting.
- At least quarterly, key Handle With Care stakeholders will review and evaluate Handle With Care at Core Team Meetings and any pertinent data in order to make recommendations for improvement as necessary.
- Law Enforcement
- Case workers
- Community partners
The Core Team will assess the following to determine the effectiveness of Handle With Care: academic achievements; truancies; and disciplinary reports. The meeting will not focus on specific cases.
Trauma Training Resources for School Personnel
- Trauma Sensitive Strategies for Schools Training. A list of resources for training educators as well as classroom strategies.
- Video: Why We Need Trauma Sensitive Schools
- Handle With Care for School Personnel register before viewing video
Handle With Care