The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
2008 Children's Special Health Care Services Strategic Planning
CHILDREN'S SPECIAL HEALTH CARE SERVICES (CSHCS)
STRATEGIC PLANNING 2008
By Kathleen Stiffler, Division Director, CSHCS
The Children's Special Health Care Division began strategic planning as a way to assess the readiness, capacity, and barriers to a fuller implementation of the 10-year Action Plan to Achieve Community-based Service Systems for Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs and Their Families (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2001). The 2010 Action Plan for Children with Special Health Care Needs (CSHCN) is a ten-year plan developed and promoted by the Maternal and Child Health Bureau (MCHB) in the Health Resources and Services Administration of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, and is endorsed by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), Family Voices, the March of Dimes and over 50 other national organizations.
The Action Plan includes the six specific outcomes for all children with special health care needs by 2010. Work on these outcomes is proceeding together at both the state and national levels. The focus of the CSHCS Strategic Plan was on assessing Michigan's current status of reaching the 2010 outcomes for CYSHCN, and exploring strategies with key stakeholders from across the state to achieve these goals and developing a prioritized five year plan to get us there.
The CSHCS strategic planning meeting was held in Lansing, Michigan on April 16 and 17, 2008. Over 100 partners from around the state participated in the very well-received process. Below you will find issue briefs on the six core outcomes that were addressed during the two day session, along with the presentations that were provided to participants. The Issue Briefs have been revised to incorporate the input from the stakeholders received during the strategic planning session. A summary of the prioritized recommendations that came out of the process is also now posted. CSHCS staff will soon be contacting interested partners who have committed to working with us on the next steps in achieving the recommendations for each of the six core outcomes. Information contained in this section of the website will be routinely updated with information coming out of the workgroups.
CSHCS wishes to thank our partners for their generous commitment to working together to improve the system of care for children and youth with special health care needs. The CSHCS Strategic Planning process is now being held up as a model for other states. Thank you for helping us achieve this success!
If you can not open a file by double clicking on it, try holding down the "ctrl" key and then clicking on the link.
- "Families with children with special health care needs will participate in decision making at all level and are satisfied with the services they receive."
- "All children with special health care needs will receive coordinated, ongoing, comprehensive care within a medical home."
- "All families of children with special health care needs will have adequate private and /or public insurance to pay for all the services they need."
- "All children will be screened early and continuously for special health care needs."
- "Community-Based service systems will be organized so families can use them easily."
- "Youth with special health care needs will receive the services necessary to make the transitions to adult life, including adult health care, work, and independence."
- Opening Plenary "Let's Get it Started!" by Diana Denboba, Branch Chief, Division of Services for children with Special Health Needs, U.S. DHHS
- Keynote Presentation "History of CSHCS in Michigan" by Dr. Gary Freed, M.D., University of Michigan Health Systems
- "Michigan Issues" by George Baker M.D., CSHCS /MDCH
- "Overview of Michigan CSHCN Data" CSHCS Strategic Planning Kathy Stiffler, Director
- "In a Perfect World" by Debbie Allen "Improving Financing of Care for CYSHCN" Deborah Allen, ScD, The Catalyst Center
Strategic Planning Participants
Each Work Groups' Initial Recommendations and Notes
Prioritized Recommendations (all groups)
Work Group Updates:
Family Participation Work Group
Medical Home Work Group
Screening Work Group
Insurance Access Work Group
Community-Based Services Work Group
Transition Work Group
Updates Posted: May 5, 2008, Updated: June 15, 2009
Last Updated September 12, 2013