The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
- Atypical - The Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) defines atypical providers as providers that do not provide health care . Providers who may be enrolled in CHAMPS or Bridges and do not perform medical services (e.g. Home Help, Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (NEMT), Adult Foster Care (AFC)). Atypical providers may submit HIPAA transactions, but they do not meet the HIPAA definition of a health care provider and would not receive an NPI number.
- Beneficiary - An individual who receives Medicaid services. Related terms include: 'Recipient', 'Client', and 'Member'. Device - A piece of equipment or a mechanism designed to serve a special purpose or perform a special function, such as smartphones and other electronic devices. 
- Electronic Visit Verification (EVV) - Electronic Visit Verification (EVV) is a validation of the date, time, location, type of personal care or home health care services provided, and individual(s) providing and receiving services.
- Global Positioning System (GPS) - A navigational system using satellite signals to fix the location of a radio receiver on or above the earth's surface. 
- Internet Service Provider - A company that provides its customers with access to the Internet and that may also provide other Internet-related services (such as e-mail accounts). 
- Typical - A health care provider means a provider of medical or health services (as defined in section 1861(s) of the Act, 42 U.S.C. 1395x(s)), and any other person or organization who furnishes, bills, or is paid for healthcare in the normal course of business. Medical Providers are enrolled within CHAMPS and have an NPI (e.g. Institutional (Hospital, Nursing Home, etc.,) Professional (Practitioner, Prescriber, Pharmacy, Dental, etc.)).
 Merriam Webster Dictionary website.
 A health care provider is defined under HIPAA in federal regulations at 45 CFR 160.103