The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Research, Policy and Advocacy
- Balogun, O. O., O'Sullivan, E. J., McFadden, A., Ota, E., Gavine, A., Garner, C. D., ... & MacGillivray, S. (2016). Interventions for promoting the initiation of breastfeeding. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, (11).
- This article shows the use of Law and Policy to Promote Breastfeeding in the United States.
- Bartick, M. C., Schwarz, E. B., Green, B. D., Jegier, B. J., Reinhold, A. G., Colaizy, T. T., ... & Stuebe, A. M. (2017). Suboptimal breastfeeding in the United States: Maternal and pediatric health outcomes and costs. Maternal & child nutrition, 13(1), e12366.
- Bartick, M. C., Jegier, B. J., Green, B. D., Schwarz, E. B., Reinhold, A. G., & Stuebe, A. M. (2017). Disparities in breastfeeding: impact on maternal and child health outcomes and costs. The Journal of Pediatrics, 181, 49-55.
- Beauregard, J. L., Hamner, H. C., Chen, J., Avila-Rodriguez, W., Elam-Evans, L. D., & Perrine, C. G. (2019). Racial Disparities in breastfeeding initiation and duration among US infants born in 2015. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 68(34), 745.
- Feltner, C., Weber, R. P., Stuebe, A., Grodensky, C. A., Orr, C., & Viswanathan, M. (2018). Breastfeeding programs and policies, breastfeeding uptake, and maternal health outcomes in developed countries.
- This article summarizes the effectiveness of community, workplace, and health care system-based programs and policies aimed at supporting and promoting breastfeeding and determines the association between breastfeeding and maternal health.
- Li, R., Ware, J., Chen, A., Nelson, J. M., Kmet, J. M., Parks, S. E., ... & Perrine, C. G. (2022). Breastfeeding and Post-perinatal Infant Deaths in the United States, A National Prospective Cohort Analysis. The Lancet Regional Health-Americas, 5, 100094.
- This article concluded that breastfeeding initiation is significantly associated with reduced odds (26% reduction) of post-perinatal infant deaths in multiple racial and ethnic groups within the U.S. population.
- Walters, D. D., Phan, L. T., & Mathisen, R. (2019). The cost of not breastfeeding: global results from a new tool. Health policy and planning, 34(6), 407-417.
Policies and Issue Statements
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Policy Statement on Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk (July 2022)
- American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) Policy Statement on Breastfeeding (2017)
- The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) "The Physician's Role in Human Milk Feeding" (2020)
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine (ABM) Protocols
- Breastfeeding & Lead Exposure: Issue Statement and Recommendations (January 2016)
- Breastfeeding State Plan
- Infant Feeding for Individuals with HIV in the United States (Jan. 31, 2023)
- PUMP for Nursing Mothers Act
- USBC Federal Policies, Programs, & Initiatives
- UNICEF global breastfeeding perspective (2018)
- The Cost of Not Breastfeeding Tool
- Michigan Breastfeeding Network (MIBFN)
- MIBFN Toolkit: Workplace
- MIBFN Toolkit: Maternity Care
- MIBFN Toolkit: Jury Duty
- MIBFN Toolkit: Incarceration
- MIBFN Toolkit: Disaster Ready
- MIBFN Toolkit: Child Custody
- MIBFN Toolkit: Child Care
- MIBFN Toolkit: Anytime, Anywhere
- WIC Breastfeeding Supporters of Color Network
- Mother Infant Health & Equity Improvement Plan
- MDHHS Michigan Breastfeeding Plan
- BMBFA Black Mother's Breastfeeding Association
- Inter-Tribal Council of Michigan