Skip to main content

CFC Frequently Asked Questions

  • You must hold a foster home license if you are providing care for an unrelated minor and the care will last for more than 10 consecutive days.

    You may be licensed to provide care for a relative minor if the related child is a court or state ward and you need foster care payments to assist in providing the care.

  • YES, you can provide care to a minor relative without becoming licensed if you meet the definition of a relative as contained in Act No. 116 of the Public Acts of 1973, as amended. "Related" means a parent, grandparent, brother, sister, stepparent, stepsister, stepbrother, uncle, aunt, cousin, great aunt, great uncle, or stepgrandparent related by marriage, blood, or adoption.

  • Licensing of child foster homes is a joint effort between the State of Michigan and licensed Child Placing Agencies. All foster homes work with and are supervised by a Child Placing Agency. In order to apply for a foster home license, you will need to contact one the child placing agencies conducting business in your geographic location.

  • Child Placing Agencies and certain courts place children into foster homes. The agency responsible for your home's supervision can make placements. Other child placing agencies and authorized courts can borrow vacant beds within your home if they have the supervising agency's approval and your agreement.

  • There are no guarantees that a child will be placed into your home. Becoming a licensed foster home merely makes the placement of a child possible. Having a child placed is dependent on the "types" of children needing foster care, the availability of beds in the community, and on the placement specifications for each foster home.

  • Generally, foster children are returned to their birth families. Foster families must comply with the plan when such reunification is the goal. However, when parental rights are terminated, foster parents frequently adopt the children for whom they have been caring.

    If your primary interest is adopting a healthy newborn infant, you should contact an adoption agency.

  • The child placing agency will provide orientation to all prospective license applicants. If you file an application, police clearances and a check for a child protective services history will be done on all adults in the home. Medical statements will be required for all members of the household. The agency will do a comprehensive study to assure compliance with the foster home rules.
  • You may home school your own children. The agency may require that you send foster children to a regular, either public or private, school program.
  • You are not required to own your own home to be licensed. You should check with your landlord before applying to be sure the landlord does not object.
  • The agency will ask you about the types of children for whom you are willing to care. The agency's final recommendation will be based on your preferences and the agency's assessment of your skills and abilities.
  • You will be expected to work with the child placing agency to meet the needs of children placed into your home. Training is required prior to licensure and annually after that for each person named on the license. You will need to keep the agency informed about your family and to maintain compliance with the foster home licensing rules.
  • The child placing agency will evaluate whether you have sufficient time to meet the needs of children who might be placed with you. There is no prohibition in the rules on working foster parents. Additionally, the foster family must have a legal source of income that is sufficient to meet the needs of the foster family.