Skip to main content

I am a former family member and I don't know where the adoption took place, how do I get this information?

Former family members may wish to contact the court where the former mother's parental rights were terminated to ask if their records hold any information that might identify the court or agency where the child was placed.  With that information then, the former family could make a request of the court or agency. It is not uncommon for former family members to contact a number of courts within a given area in the state to request if they hold the adoption record. Generally, the court that would hold the record of adoption is the Family Division of Circuit Court (formerly the probate court).

If you believe the adoption occurred in another state, you may wish to contact that state.  Some individuals will also register on the International Soundex Reunion Registry.