Skip to main content

I am now remarried and my spouse (stepparent) wishes to adopt my child(ren). What is the process?

The Family Division of the Circuit Court handles stepparent adoptions. The ex-spouse or putative father, or father who has acknowledged paternity can either consent to the adoption or if consent is not given, his/her parental rights may be terminated by the court if conditions, as outlined in the Adoption Code, are proven by clear and convincing evidence. Contact your local Family Court for specific requirements, procedures and forms.