Skip to main content

We recently adopted a child but have not yet received a birth certificate in our child's name. How do we apply for a certificate in the adoptive name?

At the time the adoption was finalized, the original birth certificate (the certificate issued in the birth name of the child), is sealed and an amended birth certificate is issued in the adoptive name. Generally, the court or agency provides you with a copy of the amended birth certificate. If this did not occur, you may wish to contact the court or agency that handled the adoption to request information as to how you may now receive an amended birth certificate.