Skip to main content

SDA Eligibility

To receive SDA, a person must be disabled, caring for a disabled person, or age 65 or older.


A person is disabled for SDA purposes if he:

  • receives other specified disability-related benefits or services (e.g., Retirement, Survivors and Disability Insurance (RSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) due to disability or blindness, etc.), or
  • resides in a qualified Special Living Arrangement facility (e.g., Home for the Aged, County Infirmary, Adult Foster Care Home or Substance Abuse Treatment Center), or
  • is certified (a review process initiated by the MDHHS Specialist) as unable to work due to mental or physical disability for at least 90 days from the onset of the disability.


Only a Family Independence Specialist at MDHHS can accurately determine your family's eligibility for SDA. Ask for details when turning in a completed application at your local MDHHS county office.