Skip to main content

How do I become licensed?

Contact your local Department of Human Services or a private child-placing agency in your area. The foster care supervisor will explain what you need to do to become licensed. You can be either married or single and can either work or stay at home. You will be required to attend training, agree to submit medical statements for your family, agree to be interviewed in your home, agree to have a criminal background check done, and provide letters of recommendation. The entire process takes between three and six months.