Skip to main content

How can I find out if I am American Indian/Alaska Native?

Only a tribe or the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) can determine if a person has tribal affiliation. Individuals should contact the tribe(s) they think they have affiliation with. Tribal Enrollment Offices are the best location to inquire within a tribe.

The Office of Native American Affairs (NAA) does not verify Indian ancestry or enroll tribal members for citizenship within tribes.

Tribal Directories with contact information for U.S. and Canadian tribes are located at the following websites: