Skip to main content

What types of services can I receive from Native American Affairs (NAA) as an Indian person?


The Office of Native American Affairs (NAA) consists of one full-time employee who serves as the department’s avenue to comply with federal and state requirements for consultation with American Indian tribes regarding all state plans, programs, legislative changes, and policy changes that impact North American Indian children and families per the 1994 amendments of the Social Security Act, Presidential Memorandum 2009 (Tribal Consultation), Governor Granholm’ s Executive Directive 2004-05, and Governor Snyder’s Executive Directive 2012-02 (

The NAA Business Plan has a 5 Star Focus of Advocacy, ICWA Profiling, Service Enhancement, Training/Technical Assistance, and Tribal Consultation.

NAA delivers a broad range of services to Michigan’s approximate 130,000 American Indian population and MDHHS field staff including, but not limited to: policy and program development, resource coordination, advocacy, training and technical assistance, coordination of efforts to ensure implementation of applicable state and federal laws (including the federal Indian Child Welfare Act [ICWA] pertaining to Native Americans, and tribal consultation).

Service elements include:

  • Native American Affairs (NAA), located in the Department of Human Services, Central Office.
  • Indian Outreach Services (IOS), 12 Indian Outreach Workers (IOWs) located in county offices across the state.

The Office of Native American Affairs (NAA) may provide information referral, case mediation, and client advocacy for American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) Michigan residents, however, services are delivered through the MDHHS local county offices.

American Indian/Alaska Native clients seeking food assistance, emergency funds, and other cash assistance should contact the local MDHHS County Office and/or the online applications for assistance (MI BRIDGES) found on the MDHHS website at:

Indian Outreach Workers (IOWs) are available in 12 counties in Michigan (Baraga, Chippewa, Gogebic, Isabella, Kent, Luce, Mackinac, Marquette, Menominee, Schoolcraft, Van Buren, and Wayne) and clients may seek their assistance in applying for MDHHS services; help with a child welfare case; accessing other community or tribal services (medical, education, transportation, housing, etc…); and assistance with verifying Indian ancestry (See Indian Outreach Worker Contact list on the NAA website

MDHHS caseworkers and private agency partners may request IOW assistance for American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) child welfare cases. Case assistance requests should be submitted via the MDHHS-382 and is subject to IOS Supervisor and/or MDHHS County Director approval.