Skip to main content

13. What Circuit Court, Family Division does the surrendering parent(s) file for custody if, after surrender, they wish to do so?

The custody action is to be filed in one of the following:

  • (a) If the parent has located the newborn, the county where the newborn is located.
  • (b) If subdivision (a) does not apply and the parent knows the location of the emergency service provider to whom the newborn was surrendered, the county where the emergency service provider is located.
  • (c) If neither subdivision (a) nor (b) applies, the county where the parent is located.