The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
20. Who applies for the birth registration for the newborn?
Hospital personnel will follow hospital procedures for completing the birth registration:
- The newborn’s name will be recorded as Baby Doe
- The mother’s name will be recorded as Unknown
- Child Placing Agency/Adoption Agency will sign the birth certificate as the informant
- The birth registration needs to be completed within five days.
The birth registration information must be supplied on a current “Certificate of Live Birth” (Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, form number DCH-0481)
The procedures for birth registration can be found in the State Registrar’s Instruction Letter Number 2. If further assistance is needed, contact the Registration Unit, Office of Vital Records and Health Statistics, Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) at 517-335-6506.