Skip to main content

9. What if someone other than a parent surrenders the newborn?

If the person surrendering the newborn is not the biological parent(s), the ESP must retain temporary protective custody of the child and immediately contact law enforcement who will investigate to determine if the newborn has been abducted, abandoned, or involved in other criminal activities. The local Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) Children's Protective Services (CPS) office must be contacted if the newborn needs to be placed in foster care pending the completion of law enforcement's investigation.