The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Step 1 - AFCARS and NCANDS Data
Safety Outcome and Indicators (NCANDS data) - Children are, first
and foremost, protected from abuse and neglect.
- Recurrence of Maltreatment - 6.1% or less of all children who were victims of abuse/neglect during the first six months of the NCANDS reporting period will be the victims of abuse/neglect again during the next six months.
Incidence of Child Abuse and/or Neglect in
Foster Care - .57% or less of the children in foster care during the reporting period will have been abused/neglected by a foster parent or facility staff.
Permanency Outcome and Indicators (AFCARS data) - Children have permanency
and stability in their living situations.
- Foster Care Re-entries - 8.6% or less of children who entered foster care during the 12-month AFCARS reporting period will have had a previous entry into foster care 12 months prior to their entry date.
- Stability of Foster Care Placements - 86.7% or less of the children who have been in foster care for 12 months or less during the AFCARS reporting period will have no more than 2 placement settings.
- Length of Time to Achieve Reunification - For all children reunified with their parent(s) during the AFCARS reporting period, 76.2% or more must be reunified with their parent(s) less than 12 months from the time of the latest removal from their home.
- Length of Time to Achieve Adoption - For all children whose adoption was finalized during the AFCARS reporting period, the adoption must be finalized in 32% or more cases in less than 24 months from the time of the latest removal from their home.
- Length of stay in foster care - For a recent cohort of children entering foster care for the first time in the state, what is the median length of stay in care prior to discharge? This outcome will not be used to determine substantial conformity during the first review.