The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
additional Measles Cases Confirmed in Oakland County
March 21, 2019
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 21, 2019
MDHHS CONTACT: Angela Minicuci, 517-763-3609
OCHD CONTACT: Leigh-Anne Stafford, 248-858-1410
Pontiac, Mich. – Michigan Department of Health and Human Services and Oakland County Health Division today received confirmation of four additional measles cases in Oakland County. Three other cases are currently under investigation. These cases follow a confirmed travel-related measles case announced by the Health Division on March 13, 2019.
“Measles is in the community and highly contagious. You need to get vaccinated if you are unsure whether you have been vaccinated or unsure if you have had measles in the past,” said Leigh-Anne Stafford, health officer for Oakland County. “If symptoms develop, do not visit your doctor or emergency room unless you call ahead so they can take precautions to prevent exposure to other individuals.”
Exposures may have occurred at the following locations, dates, and times:
March 14 – March 19
- Congregation B’Nai Israel: 15400 W. 10 Mile Rd., Oak Park
- Ahavas Olam: 15620 W 10 Mile Rd., Southfield
- Yeshiva Gedolah of Greater Detroit: 24600 Greenfield Rd., Oak Park
- Kollel Institute of Greater Detroit: 15230 Lincoln St., Oak Park
March 15 – March 18
- One Stop Kosher Food Market: 25155 Greenfield Rd., Southfield
- Young Israel of Oak Park: 15140 W. 10 Mile Rd., Oak Park, After 1:00 – 6:00 p.m.
- Kroger: 23675 Greenfield Rd.: Southfield, 12:00 – 3:00 p.m.
- Huntington Woods Minyan: 14130 Balfour St., Oak Park, 8:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Yeshivas Darchei Torah School: 21550 W. 12 Mile Rd., Southfield, 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Kroger: 19853 W. 12 Mile Rd., Southfield, 8:00 – 11:00 p.m.
- Berkley Medical Center: 1695 W. 12 Mile Rd., Berkley, 11:15 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Meijer: 28800 Telegraph Rd., Southfield, 1:00 – 4:30p
- Yeshivas Darchei Torah School: 21550 W. 12 Mile Rd., Southfield, 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Brede, Inc.: 19000 Glendale Ave., Detroit, 12:00 – 7:30 p.m.
Potential exposures may have occurred at the following locations. OCHD will update www.oakgov.com/health as more information becomes available.
- Beaumont Reference Lab: 3601 13 Mile Rd., Royal Oak, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- SKLD Bloomfield Hills: 2975 N. Adams Rd., Bloomfield Hills, 12:00 – 3:00 p.m.
- Westborn Market: 27659 Woodward Ave., Berkley, 12:30 – 3:30 p.m.
- Jax Kar Wash: 27054 Woodward Ave., Royal Oak, 1:00 – 4:00 PM
- Beth Tefilo: 24225 Greenfield Rd., Southfield, 8:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
- Beth Tefilo: 24225 Greenfield Rd., Southfield, 8:00 – 11:00 a.m.
- Lowe’s Home Improvement: 28650 Telegraph Rd., Southfield, 12:20 – 3:30 p.m.
- Lowe’s Home Improvement: 434 W. East 12 Mile Rd., Madison Heights, 3:00 – 7:00 p.m.
- Home Depot: 660 W. 12 Mile Rd., Madison Heights, 4:30 – 7:00 p.m.
- Oakland County Circuit Court Building: 1200 N. Telegraph Rd., Bldg.12E, Pontiac, 1:30 – 5:00 p.m.
- ABC Warehouse: 24725 Southfield Rd., Southfield, 3:30 – 7:00 p.m.
- Universal Plumbing Supply: 14511 W. 11 Mile Rd., Southfield, 4:40 – 7:30 p.m.
- Building at 211 W. Fort St., Detroit, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. This building includes Detroit Economic Club, U.S. Department of Labor, U.S. Passport Office, and more.
- Beaumont Reference Laboratory: 3601 13 Mile Rd., Royal Oak, after 3:00 p.m.
- Providence Park Novi Medical Building: 26850 Providence Parkway, Novi, after 1:00 p.m.
The measles vaccine is available through some health providers, Oakland County Health Division offices in Southfield and Pontiac, and many pharmacies. Health Division offices are open Monday: 8:30 a.m.- 6:00 p.m. and Tuesday-Friday 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. and are located at the following addresses:
- North Oakland Health Center, 1200 N. Telegraph Road, Building 34 East, Pontiac
- South Oakland Health Center, 27725 Greenfield Road, Southfield
The Health Division will host a special measles vaccination clinic open to the public. No other vaccines will be available at the following clinic:
- Saturday, March 23, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the South Oakland Health Center, 27725 Greenfield Rd., Southfield.
Oakland County Health Division’s Nurse on Call phone line will be open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday to answer any questions. Please call 800-848-5533 or email email@example.com.
Unvaccinated individuals need to get vaccinated. If you are unsure whether you have been vaccinated or have had measles in the past, contact your healthcare provider. Watch for symptoms for 21 days after potential exposure. Vaccine is effective within 72 hours of exposure to prevent illness. In addition, Immune Globulin (Ig) treatment is effective within 6 days of exposure for high-risk individuals. Talk to your preferred healthcare provider to determine if Immune Globulin is right for you and if it is available. High-risk individuals include those who are unvaccinated or unsure about vaccination status, pregnant women and those who are immune-compromised (have a weakened immune system due to illness and disease like diabetes or HIV, malnutrition, and/or medications).
Measles is a highly contagious, vaccine-preventable disease that is spread by direct person-to-person contact, and through the air. The virus can live for up to two hours in the air where the infected person was present. Symptoms of measles usually begin 7-14 days after exposure, but can appear up to 21 days after exposure and may include:
- High fever (may spike to over 104°F)
- Runny nose
- Red, watery eyes (conjunctivitis)
- Tiny white spots on the inner cheeks, gums, and roof of the mouth (Koplik Spots) 2-3 days after symptoms begin
- A rash that is red, raised, blotchy; usually starts on face, spreads to trunk, arms, and legs 3-5 days after symptoms begin
For more information about measles, visit www.oakgov.com/health or call Nurse on Call at 800-848- 5533, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. For up-to-date public health information, follow @publichealthOC on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
For media inquiries only, please contact Leigh-Anne Stafford, health officer for Oakland County Health Division, at (248) 858-1410.