The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
MDHHS seeks input during public forums on Michigan's behavioral health system
January 03, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Jan. 3, 2020
CONTACT: Lynn Sutfin, 517-241-2112
LANSING, Mich. – The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) is hosting five public forums to receive feedback on the department’s vision for strengthening Michigan’s Medicaid-funded behavioral health and intellectual/developmental disabilities system.
The purpose of the forums is to hear from people and families served by Michigan’s specialty behavioral health system. During the events, MDHHS leadership will provide an overview of the department’s proposal, seek feedback and answer questions from attendees. Information gathered during the forums will help the state design a system that best meets the needs of residents who rely on these critical services.
MDHHS Director Robert Gordon announced in December the department’s vision to strengthen the behavioral health system by preserving a strong safety net and integrating physical and behavioral health payments through Specialty Integrated Plans.
“Our department does not have all the answers. We learn by listening,” Gordon said. “These public forums offer an important opportunity to hear from residents across the state about how we can best design a system that improves health outcomes, supports quality of life and increases access to care for all Michiganders.”
Four forums will be hosted in-person and one will be hosted virtually. The dates and locations are as follows:
- Detroit: Wednesday, Jan. 8, from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., Cadillac Place, 3044 W. Grand Boulevard, Conference Room L-150.
- Grand Rapids: Thursday, Jan. 9, from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., Grand Valley State University L.V. Eberhard Center, 301 W. Fulton, Room 201.
- Marquette: Wednesday, Jan. 22, from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., Marquette Senior High School, 1203 W. Fair Avenue, Little Theater.
- Saginaw: Thursday, Jan. 30, from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., Saginaw Valley State University Gilbertson Hall, 7400 Bay Road, Ott Auditorium.
- Virtual Forum: Thursday, Feb. 6, from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. The link for this event will be shared on Michigan.gov/FutureOfBehavioralHealth in late January.
To register to attend a forum and for more information about the state’s vision, visit Michigan.gov/FutureOfBehavioralHealth. Individuals are also invited to submit feedback on the state’s vision for behavioral health via email to MDHHS-FutureOfBH@michigan.gov.
# # #