The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Request for Proposals for Medicaid Health Plans now open
October 30, 2023
MDHHS launches process for the Comprehensive Health Care Program contract for Medicaid Health Plans
LANSING, Mich. – The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) today launched a competitive procurement for the Comprehensive Health Care Program contract for Michigan’s Medicaid health plans, which combined serve 2.2 million Michiganders receiving coverage through Medicaid and the Healthy Michigan Plan.
“Through this rebid process, MDHHS will select Medicaid health plan contractors with the experiences, capabilities and commitment to deliver an equitable, coordinated and person-centered system of care that will ultimately provide Michigan residents with a healthier future,” said MDHHS Director Elizabeth Hertel.
The rebid is part of MIHealthyLife, an initiative launched in 2022 to strengthen Medicaid services through new Medicaid health plan contracts. Input from nearly 10,000 enrollees and family members, health care providers, health plans and other community partners informed the creation of five MIHealthyLife strategic pillars:
- Serve the Whole Person, Coordinating Health and Health-Related Needs.
- Give All Kids a Healthy Start.
- Promote Health Equity and Reduce Racial and Ethnic Disparities.
- Drive Innovation and Operational Excellence.
- Engage Members, Families and Communities.
The MIHealthyLife initiative guided design of Comprehensive Health Care Program changes embedded in the Medicaid Health Plan contract rebid. An informational webinar is available on the MIHealthyLife home page describing these priority program changes in more detail:
- Prioritizing health equity by requiring Medicaid health plans achieve National Committee for Quality Assurance Health Equity Accreditation.
- Addressing social determinants of health through investment in and engagement with community-based organizations.
- Increasing childhood immunization rates, including increasing provider participation in the Vaccines for Children program.
- Adopting a more person-centered approach to mental health coverage.
- Ensuring access to health care providers by strengthening network requirements.
- Increasing Medicaid Health Plan accountability and clarifying expectations to advance state priorities.
The Medicaid Health Plan request for proposals is posted to the SIGMA system. Responses from bidders are due on Jan. 16, 2024. Bidders are to submit any written non-rate related questions regarding the request for proposal by Nov. 17, 2023, and rate-related questions by Dec. 1, 2023. Interested bidders are encouraged to refer to the Proposal Instructions for additional information regarding questions submittal and deadlines. MDHHS will post answers to bidder questions on the SIGMA system by Dec. 14, 2023. Medicaid Health Plan contracts resulting from this rebid will begin on Oct. 1, 2024.
The State of Michigan reserves the right to change dates or any other information deemed necessary.
Visit the SIGMA website for more information on the system.
# # #